Friday, June 26, 2009

Going, going, gone?

Lately my wife and I have been considering moving and starting over in a new city somewhere. Despite this being perhaps the worst time in recent memory for a person to up and quit their job, trek across country, and attempt to make it somewhere else, the thought has grown much more appealing.

We both have a love/hate relationship with our families. I can't stand my mom, most of the time. What's the old adage? "I love you, but I fucking hate you?" Yeah, that's the one. She's my mom, so I will always love her, in the way that sons are supposed to love their mothers, but in no way do we get along or see eye-to-eye on anything. It's become even more apparent since I've grown up and started a family of my own. We are too different and don't know how to deal with the other's opinions. She's very judgmental, and uses the line (helpfully shared by my aunt) "It's only an opinion until the other person thinks they're being judged." Yeah right, mom; own the fuck up and admit you have something to say without hiding behind your clever colloquialisms.

Crystal has problems with her family as well, but I won't get into those, as I really don't think it's my place. Different problems, but we're both fed up and feel like a move would be a nice change of pace.

We've pretty much decided that the only places we'd want to move would be to New Orleans (Crystal loves the idea of New Orleans, and I think we could be happy there if we found good enough jobs and a stable living arrangement) or out east, to the Boston area or around there. She used to live in Beverly so she knows her way around.

Personally I would love to move out West too, maybe to Oregon or Washington, but I'm a mountain person, and she is not. She is quite literally scared of "were-billies" living in the mountains, waiting to kill her, rape her, and eat her (not necessarily in that order). I think she's seen Wrong Turn a few too many times, myself. I love the mountains, and would even enjoy living in Montana or Colorado. Or New Mexico, if we're near the mountains.

The problem, of course, is finding jobs and a place to live before we move. We're not idealists by any stretch, and it would be the height of idiocy to take a family of four and move somewhere random without any means of supporting ourselves.

So...anyone know of any job openings?

3 comments:

  1. Lot's of work in Alberta, Canada, close to the mountains (but not too close), decent housing prices, Edmonton has one of the best public school systems in the world, oh and free health care. And really far from family, that's why we moved here 4 years ago.
    Xtreme

    ReplyDelete
  2. How hard is it for an American to get a visa, any idea? I've seriously thought about Canada as a destination, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably not too bad, we like to let smart people in. Check out Monster for job comparisons, but I think you'd find wages reasonable. And Alberta hasn't been hit by the recession like the rest of the world, we have oil here.

    ReplyDelete